Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I could be a morning person....

if they were all like this morning.....
I went in to check on The Bug after my shower, she was sitting up in bed just happy as could be. She got a good night sleep, we didn't have a nursing battle as she slept through the night, we were both rested. I laid across the bed, already in my blouse for work. She gave me a hug and touched my shirt. I told her it was Mommy's blouse. She said "Mommy's shirt" I said
"That's right" then she said, get this...."I like it". You gotta love your 19 month old approving of your work clothes!

Of course, Whatever and I just don't connect on the mornings. Our raging hormones battle against each other before we even say word one. Today wasn't very different but I do have to share this exchange:
A little background - Whatever is in a Language Immersion school. She spend at least half of her day immersed in a foreign language and is now fluent. Part of her classwork involves her reading books in the language and taking tests on them for points. These points are tallied into her report card grades. Last report card she fell short of her points and her grades really took a hit. She also has to do the same sort of reading in English. So we made her get most of her Spanish points over spring break this quarter just to knock it out.
So this morning -
Me - So where do you stand on your Spanish reading?
Whatever - I only have one more test to take, then I will actually have more points than I need
Me - That's great, so what is going on in English? How many books have you read to get that going?
Whatever - you told me I wasn't ALLOWED to read any English
Me - WHAT?!?!?! When would I possibly tell you that I was not allowing you to do your homework????
Whatever - You did, you said I wasn't allowed to do any English until the Spanish was done.
Me - No, I said that you needed to do you Spanish over Spring Break so we knew you Had it done.
Whatever - Oh, I thought I wasn't allowed to do any English
Me - For the record, I will never forbid you from doing homework.

This is what dealing with a tween is like, you never know when you say something, what they are going to actually hear. They have some sort of little decoder box between their ears and brains that totally takes what you say and turns it into what they want to hear!! It is amazing!

1 comment:

liltruthie said...

"Whatever's" got it goin' on! (Souljah recital) Nice site Amy. I wish I could visit more often.

Some day I may dabble in the water's of the "saving spirit"…the UUs haven't really taken for me here.

I like 'em…but it's kinda lonely. Sigh. Well, I gotta go. If I can, I'll try and remember to visit every so often.