Monday, August 25, 2008

Reflections on Nursing

As I get closer and closer to the end of this special bond I share with The Bug, I thought I would reflect on the whole experience. It has been such a blessing to have been able to nurse as long as we have.

-Nursing is not something that comes naturally to Mom or baby. It requires patience, practice, and lots of love.
-Breastfeeding The Bug required me to learn how to sit and just be. I couldn’t multi-task, I couldn’t get on the phone I had to just be. It is a lesson I will take with me long after we are done. I am able to sit and relax and let things pass. I think this is why some people stop, it is so hard to just sit there.
-It taught me a lesson in perseverance. I would sit and pump in the restroom at work and cry and cry because I didn’t make enough milk for my baby for the next day. I kept at it and it all worked out. It was so worth the tears and sore nipples
-That birth and life are truly a miracle. I carried a baby in my belly and it was my milk that nourished her for the first 51/2 months of her life.
-I really don’t care who sees my boobs!
-No matter where The Bug and I are, she is home if she can nurse.
-There is no sweeter smell than baby milk breath.

No comments: