Monday, September 22, 2008

I am a big weaner!

So I am trying to slowly wean The Bug from nursing. It is hard, she loves it way too much. In fact it is like having a pint sized crack addict in the bed (don't even get me started on co-sleeping, that is our next challenge!) with me. I let her nurse before she goes to sleep (and sometimes to sleep when I just need her down) and then that is it. No more middle of the night stick-the-boob-in-the-mouth-to-quiet-the-baby-and-get-some-sleep feedings. Apparently those were her favorite.
First, she starts rooting around in her sleep. Then when the boob is not readily available, a panicked fumbling begins where she tries to get work her way under my shirt, pulls on my face, scratches at my chest, and sometimes tries to suck on my nose if she is close enough. This is followed a kicking and scratching fit, where she kicks off anything that touches her legs, and scratches her belly furiously. The next step is the loud wailing and yelling, "mommy!!!", she truly sounds like she is in pain. She grabs onto my face and stares at me like she is trying to will me to release a boob. At this point, sometimes, I can get her a drink of water and cuddle with her and get her to sleep, sometimes, just touching her at this point, she starts back at the first step!!!!
This whole process can last 10 minutes or 2 hours!! We have been working on it for 2 weeks now. I can't just go cold turkey on her, I think her head would just shoot right off her body!

So yes, I am a big mean weaner.

Peace

No comments: