Thursday, August 30, 2007

The breastfeeding controversy

Here in Lexington, there is a big shit storm over a woman that was asked to stop nursing at Applebee's.
http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/161993.html#recent_comm
I have friends that are trying to get me to speak out about my experience and stage more nurse-ins (some even suggested all of us going into the pool area and squirting breastmilk into it!). I have written letters to the pool director, La Leche, and Senator Tom Buford. I choose to wait and see what their response is before I call in the lactivists. It was one person who asked me to stop, not the establishment. I want them to be educated, not picketed. I don't want to shove anything down anyone's throats, I just want an apology for my embarrassment and to be assured that another woman won't have to be embarrassed. I do have a legal right to feed my baby and as far as covering up or feeding her in the bathroom, both are absurd!
I choose to fight my battle quietly, Brooke Ryan is calling in the big guns. I support her 100% and plan to be at the Nurse-In.

That being said:
Bug turns 1 on Saturday!! Holy crap where does the time go. Whatever turns 12! God help us all. we are having a huge bash, carnival theme. Should be big fun.

Conversation this morning with Whatever:
me: DO you have socks on?
W: uh-huh
Me: let me see
W: why?
Me: because you have told me yes before and didn't have them on, let me see
W: GAWD! Here, see.
Me: you don't have any socks on.
W: oh, I thought I had some on.

No comments: